Friday, August 20, 2010

...confessions from a new nurse...

I did-IT ... I graduated nursing school and PASSED NCLEX. It still seems surreal to me and sometimes I wake up in a panic certain that I'm late for the first day back to classes or that I missed my appointment to take the big test that would make or break my future career.

But I have pictures to prove I graduated and a letter from the board of nursing congratulating me for passing so it must be true. Plus, I get to go to the job of my dreams three days a week.. and that is where this post takes me...

I've only been on the floor for three weeks now, but people never cease to amaze me. I love my job because it brings me to tears daily as I watch new life begin, it humbles me because I realize how good I really have it, and people are funny. When people are completely vulnerable and one hundred percent exposed... they have no secrets, and THAT is my favorite part of my job. I laugh nonstop... mostly with my patients, but occasionally at them.

My mom has encouraged me to start documenting the hilarious stories that I come home from work with, so here it goes. Take yesterday for example. An obese patient voluntarily offered up the information that it took her parents help to get her pregnant. They had to hold a 2x4 over her pannus (that's a bigggg belly) in order for her to become pregnant! WHAT!

A day in the life.... of a labor and delivery nurse...

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Yeah!! You started your blog again!! And three days a week! So jealous!