Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Not so old lady anymore..

My mom taught me lots of things growing up... none of which involved makeup, jewelry, purses, shoes or nail polish. She's not really a tomboy.. more or less, all natural, and beautifully so.

My grandma, however, taught me everything about all things girly. She never leaves her home without her daily makeup (her face as she called it last week on her way out the door to chemotherapy) and her jewelry... and her nails are almost always painted.

I remember when I was younger and I'd sneak back into her bedroom to play on her smorgasbord dresser full of all things that I'm pretty sure had never even entered my mom's wal-mart cart in my whole life... thus, I'd never seen outside of the state of Texas where my grandma lived. I would put on her makeup, that was eight shades too pale for my youthful tanned skin, slip her jewelry over my wrists, neck, and fingers... and then stop to pick out the perfect color to paint my fingernails....

.... and all Grandma ever had was "old lady pink." You know the color, the blend between pink and brown that looks like you either have no color on your nails, or you mistakenly haven't washed them in weeks. That's what I thought of the color... and can remember Grandma taking me to "Fazios" which I'm sure has long been out of business and letting me pick out the perfect color of nail polish for my young nails... usually being purple, blue, orange... or a combination of all 3.

Today, I decided I needed to make a trip to beauty brands and pick out a perfect color of nail polish for fall... and I couldn't believe what I took to the counter to buy...

Old Lady Pink.... I must be growing up.



No comments: